Mediterranean Polenta Cups Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat; stir in thyme and pepper.
- 2. Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls into miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the center of each. Cover and chill until set. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, feta cheese, basil and garlic.
- 3. Unmold polenta cups and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each with 1 heaping tablespoon of tomato mixture. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 26 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer