Mediterranean Nachos Recipe
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 whole pita breads
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a colander set over a bowl, toss cucumbers with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze and pat dry. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- 2. Cut each pita into eight wedges; arrange in a singer layer on ungreased baking sheets. Spritz both sides of pitas with cooking spray; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon seasoning mix. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook lamb and remaining seasoning mix over medium heat until lamb is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, lemon peel, cucumbers and remaining salt and pepper. Arrange pita wedges on a serving platter. Layer with lettuce, lamb mixture, tomatoes, olives, onions and cheese. Serve immediately with cucumber sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 253 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer