Mediterranean Nachos Recipe
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 whole pita breads (6-inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a colander set over a bowl, toss cucumbers with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze and pat dry. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- Cut each pita into eight wedges; arrange in a singer layer on ungreased baking sheets. Spritz both sides of pitas with cooking spray; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon seasoning mix. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- In a large skillet, cook lamb and remaining seasoning mix over medium heat until lamb is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, lemon peel, cucumbers and remaining salt and pepper. Arrange pita wedges on a serving platter. Layer with lettuce, lamb mixture, tomatoes, olives, onions and cheese. Serve immediately with cucumber sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Mediterranean Nachos(3)
Sort By :
This recipe is a keeper for me !! Absolutely delicious ! This is the best lamb seasoning I've tried. We ate the natchos the first night, then I used the leftovers & switched it up to make a Greek style salad next night. I added some garbanzos to the veggie mix, topped the greens with warmed-over lamb & feta & served the pita wedges for crackers. The cucumber sauce is also wonderful. I added some julienned radishes for extra crunch. Yum !
These were FANTASTIC! I doubled the batch and we were able to eat on them all week. The spices in the meat are spot on...we're thinking we may use the ingredients to make greek tacos. Bravo! This recipe is a keeper!
I served this for dinner and it was delicious and filling. I halved the yogurt sauce and there was still way too much, and we weren't crazy about it, but the rest of this dish was top notch.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Beef Appetizers >
- Beef Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Greek Appetizers >
- Greek Recipes >
- Ground Lamb >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Lamb >
- Low Fat Appetizers >