Mediterranean Mashed Potatoes Recipe
It's hard for our family to imagine eating mashed potatoes any other way but this. It tastes great on its own or drizzled with tahini sauce.—Nikki Haddad, Germantown, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 8 large potatoes (about 6-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1. Place potatoes in a stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, mince garlic; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Mash garlic with flat side of the knife blade, forming a smooth paste. In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic mixture and remaining salt until blended.
- 3. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding oil mixture. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with pine nuts. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 192 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC