A light refreshing dressing lends a lemony lift to this Mediterranean mix of lentils, tomatoes, olives and feta cheese. "This good-for-you side taste terrific and goes together in a jiffy," says Melissa Nichols of Shorewood, Minnesota. "My family loves it served with homemade bread."
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water; drain. Place in a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper; shake well. Add tomatoes, celery, cheese and olives to lentils; toss to combine.
- Add dressing and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Lentil Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2002, p48
Reviews for Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2012
"nice side dish for summer"
Reviewed Apr. 20, 2008
"I took this to a potluck at church and had numerous recipe requests."