Mediterranean Layered Dip Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups roasted garlic hummus
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Assorted fresh vegetables or baked pita chips
- 1. Spread hummus onto a 12-in. round serving platter; top with roasted peppers.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the spinach, lemon juice, oil, basil and mint. Using a slotted spoon, spoon spinach mixture over peppers. Top with cheese, olives and onion. Serve with vegetables or pita chips. Yield: 20 servings.
Tip: You can make homemade pita chips by cutting a package of pita bread into wedges. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool; store in an airtight container.
1/4 cup (calculated without vegetables or chips): 83 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Mediterranean Layered Dip
"I was looking for a new, lighter appetizer for our annual Christmas Eve family get-together. I love hummus and fresh veggies, and this fit in nicely with some of our stand-bys that are more calorie-heavy. I did make a couple of changes - since I roasted the peppers myself and they were quite soft, I blended them in with the homemade hummus and they added a great flavor. I also left off the feta cheese to make it dairy-free. easy recipe and good taste."
"Wow...this is a fantastic recipe. I made it for a family get together this past Memorial Day weekend and everyone zeroed in on it immediately. The flavors are great together and the little bit I had leftover tasted even better the next day. If you are a fan of Mediterranean flavors, this is the appetizer for you!"
"Incredible way to dress up store bought hummus!"