Mediterranean Eggplant Dip Recipe
- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 drops liquid smoke, optional
- Minced fresh parsley
- Optional ingredients: naan flatbread wedges or miniature pitas, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, julienned red pepper, baby carrots and Greek olives
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1-in. slices; place on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Top with onion and garlic cloves. Drizzle with oil.
- 2. Roast 40-45 minutes or until eggplant is very soft, turning and stirring vegetables once. Cool slightly.
- 3. Place eggplant mixture in a food processor; process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and, if desired, liquid smoke.
- 4. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with flatbread and vegetables as desired. Yield: 4 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 77 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Mediterranean Eggplant Dip
"I agree that this recipe calls for too much sour cream . I made this for a large crowd, so I doubled the amount of eggplant and other ingredients, but used only 8 oz sour cream for the whole dip, so the flavor of the roasted eggplant was not lost. It was delicious and made a huge quantity."
"It was good but I feel that 16 oz of sour cream was too much. I used a 12 oz container and still thought it was too much. I think next time I'll do around 8-10 oz"
"Loved, loved this!! Great on toasted pita. carrots & raw broccoli. Husband and daughter loved. Would also make a great filling for a sandwich or on bagels. Field Editor"