Mediterranean Chickpeas Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Sir in remaining ingredients; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with couscous. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup chickpea mixture with 2/3 cup couscous: 340 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Mediterranean Chickpeas
"used half as many grilled artichokes and 2 cans of chic peas. served with jasmine rice. even the kiddo loved it! easy, fast, unique. also great with a little feta on top."
"I just made this to take to a friend, but like it so much I think I'll make it for myself tomorrow!"
"so easy to make and very tasty. the stewed tomatoes were on the sweet side so i needed to add a little more lemon juice"
"Great flavors & very easy to throw together! Definitely use no salt added tomatoes & chickpeas, as the olives and artichokes will have plenty!"
"Delicious and easy to make"
"This dish has so much flavour and takes no time to pull together. My small kids love it too. I sometimes serve it with pita pockets."