Mediterranean Chickpeas Recipe
Olives, oregano and artichoke hearts boost flavor in this colorful and hearty meatless main dish. It goes together in minutes with convenient pantry items. Try a little feta cheese on top for something extra-special. Elaine Ober - Brookline, Massachusetts
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Sir in the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, artichokes, olives, lemon juice, oregano and peppers. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve with couscous. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup garbanzo bean mixture with 2/3 cup couscous equals 340 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC