Brimming with classic Mediterranean ingredients, this restaurant-quality dish will be an instant dinnertime hit. Serve it with a quick salad for a complete meal. Jayne Martin — Strathclair, Manitoba
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 center-cut bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, cook bacon and leek over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon mixture to paper towels. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the broth, wine and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add chicken and bacon mixture; heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with chicken mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken with Spaghetti Squash in Healthy Cooking October/November 2009, p35
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mediterranean Chicken with Spaghetti Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review