Mediterranean Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Stir-fry onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; stir-fry 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the chicken, tomatoes, olives and parsley. Serve with barley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup chicken mixture with 3/4 cup barley equals 403 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 498 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer