- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Season chicken with Greek seasoning and pepper. In a Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink; remove and set aside. Add green onions and garlic to the pan; saute for 1 minute. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, olives, capers, basil, oregano and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken Soup in Heartwarming Soups 2012 2012, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mediterranean Chicken Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review