I copied this delightful recipe when I was in Italy visiting my Aunt Elsa. The refreshing sandwich filling is nicely flavored with oregano and mint. I like it tucked into chewy pita bread. —Marcia Fuller, Sheridan, Montana
Recommended: Favorite Mediterranean Recipes
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, oregano, mint and salt. Pour over chicken mixture; toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Line pita halves with lettuce; fill with chicken mixture, using a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p17
Reviews for Mediterranean Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 19, 2013
"I made this last night and my husband asked for more! I cooked the chicken on my stove-top "grill" and was glad to have another use for the mint in my yard. We'll be having this again soon."