I copied this delightful recipe when I was in Italy visiting my Aunt Elsa. The refreshing sandwich filling is nicely flavored with oregano and mint. I like it tucked into chewy pita bread. —Marcia Fuller, Sheridan, Montana
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced quartered seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole wheat pita pocket halves, warmed
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from the skillet; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, tomatoes, cucumber and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, oregano, mint and salt. Pour over chicken mixture; toss gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Line pita halves with lettuce; fill with chicken mixture, using a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken Sandwiches in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p17
Reviews for Mediterranean Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review