Mediterranean Chicken Fettuccine Recipe
Herbed tomato sauce enhances the tender, moist chicken in this delectable dish from Cynthia McGraw of Florissant, Missouri. Crumbled feta cheese and tangy green olives bring home the essence of Mediterranean flavor. "If you use fresh herbs, add them to the skillet during the last 15 minutes of cooking," Cynthia advises. "This dish is excellent made the day before and reheated."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic until tender. Add the tomatoes, wine or broth, oregano, basil, sugar, pepper, salt, bay leaves and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions. Uncover chicken mixture; simmer 10 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Discard bay leaves. Drain fettuccine; top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with feta cheese and olives. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC