Mediterranean Bulgur Salad Recipe
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked bulgur
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth and bulgur to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender and broth is almost absorbed. Remove from the heat; let stand at room temperature, uncovered, until broth is absorbed.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 3. In a large serving bowl, combine the bulgur, beans, tomatoes, cucumber and onions. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and pine nuts. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 298 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Mediterranean Bulgur Salad
"I used only 1 cup of bulgur. It was a good amount. 1 1/2 cups is to much."
"I made it for Mothers Day and everyone loved it. Several people asked for the recipe!"
"So good! Added slightly less olive oil but otherwise followed recipe. Even better on day 2 and 3."
"I made it without the pine nuts and feta cheese, it was very tasty and delicious. Will make it again, it's a great option for a healthy side dish."
"Have made it several times with no changes. healthy and tasty, as described."
"I tried another recipe before finding this one. The changes I made to the other recipe make it much like this one.Rather than cook the bulgur I just brought the broth to a boil, added the grain and let it set for an hour.To the broth I added a tsp. of fresh rosemary, minced and the zest of two lemons.I didn't have a cucumber or green onions. To add bulk I added a can of artichoke hearts (not in oil).I also did not add any cheese.I am looking forward to making this again with the addition of nuts.All in all a tasty dish."
"I didn't wait for the bulgur to cool, but mixed this salad up and served it warm. I didn't have feta cheese, but used shredded mozzarella. Later, we tryed the salad cold with shredded Swiss cheese. This is an excellent, healthy salad. I'm keeping this recipe. My only question is, did I have to cook the bulgur? A recipe on the sack of bulgur, said to soak the bulgur in water for an hour before using it."
"This is one of the best dishes I've ever eaten in my life. It reminds me of a yummy grain salad from Earth Fare or something.I made it with a few changes, due to what I had in the house at the time. I plan to keep those changes next go around.Perfect to eat with Martha Stewart's Curried Carrot soup. Google that one for the recipe. :)-Only 4 green onions-Only 4 Tbs. of oil-Cilantro instead of parsley-Crushed almonds instead of pine nuts-chicken broth instead of veggie"
"I had to leave out the pine nuts because of a family member's allergy to them. I thought: What can I replace them with? I decided on chopped pistachios, which are Mediterranean. The substitution was a success; everyone loved this salad."