Mediterranean Apricot Phyllo Bites Recipe
Apricot and almonds make these flaky little bites a delicious ending to a meal or a special evening snack. Try the tropical filling for another sensational treat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1. Place almonds and apricots in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon butter, honey, lemon peel and extract; add almond mixture and stir until blended.
- 2. Lightly brush one sheet of phyllo with remaining butter; place another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut the two layered sheets into three 14-in. x 3-in. strips.
- 3. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons filling in lower corner of each strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold triangle over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip. Brush end of dough with butter and press onto triangle to seal. Turn triangle and brush top with melted butter. Repeat.
- 4. Place triangles on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 triangle equals 74 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC