Meaty Zucchini Stew Recipe
If you're going to a potluck with Phyllis Bertin of Thunder Bay, Ontario, make sure to taste a serving of her savory stew. Slices of zucchini are mixed with ground beef, pork sausage and a assortment of other vegetables to create this one-dish wonder.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 medium zucchini, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. Drain tomatoes, reserving the juice; set tomatoes aside. In the same pan, combine the peppers, celery, onion and reserved juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- 3. Add the meat, tomatoes, zucchini, tomato juice and seasonings. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 175 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Meaty Zucchini Stew
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC