Meaty Tomato Soup
As an elementary school librarian and church choir director, I've come to rely on--and thoroughly enjoy--slow-cooked meals. A sorority sister shared this recipe with me. - Ann Bost, Elkhart, Texas
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients; mix
- well. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Add macaroni and mix
- well. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender.
- Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
If you're out of elbow macaroni, you can use rotini or small shell pasta in Meaty Tomato Soup. For a true Italian twist, replace the pork sausage with Italian sausage.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 128 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.