Meaty Three-Bean Chili Recipe
Meet the Cook: Doubling this recipe is automatic for me - just about everyone wants more than one bowl! If any's left, I freeze it. It's also great the second time around. -Sandra Miller, Lees Summit, Missouri
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Additional chopped onion, optional
- 1. In a 4-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook the sausage and beef over medium heat, until the meat is no longer pink; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set meat aside.
- 2. Saute onion, peppers and garlic in the reserved drippings for 3 minutes. Add the broth, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Add tomatoes, bacon and browned sausage and beef; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4. Add all of the beans. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Garnish with chopped onion if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 244 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC