“Marinated artichokes, celery and sweet green pepper are wonderful additions to this hearty spaghetti sauce. Don’t be afraid of leftovers—this tangy sauce is even better the next day.” —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Meaty Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2011, p68
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Meaty Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review