Meaty Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
3/4 cup equals 180 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Meaty Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
"I couldn't figure out how to give this recipe 4.5 stars....but that's where I would rate it. Definitely a great recipe! I put my own twist on the it what was available from my fridge and pantry. Read about the steps I took to create this diner HERE: http://cookingwithkrista.blogspot.com/2011/06/spectacular-sun-dried-tomato-pasta.html"
"I loved the flavor of the sun dried tomatoes, but my family prefers a slightly sweet sauce. This sauce was pretty good though. I also thought that it was a little pricey to make. Thankfully I had my own herb garden that saved a few dollars for the fresh herbs."
"This was pretty good. I don't know if I'll make it again but I said yes because I'm on the fence. I followed the recipe as closely as possible though I did have to make a few changes -- left out celery & ground beef, and had to use sundried tomatoes in oil. Anyway, it was good and nice and light, but we didn't rave about it."
"I loved this sauce. Easy to make...I cooked the meat the night before and put everything in my crockpot in the morning before work. I used three different types of canned tomatoes: fire roasted, italian seasoned and plain. When I got home all I had to do was cook pasta."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.