Meaty Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Meaty Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce(4)
Sort By :
I couldn't figure out how to give this recipe 4.5 stars....but that's where I would rate it. Definitely a great recipe! I put my own twist on the it what was available from my fridge and pantry. Read about the steps I took to create this diner HERE: http://cookingwithkrista.blogspot.com/2011/06/spectacular-sun-dried-tomato-pasta.html
I loved the flavor of the sun dried tomatoes, but my family prefers a slightly sweet sauce. This sauce was pretty good though. I also thought that it was a little pricey to make. Thankfully I had my own herb garden that saved a few dollars for the fresh herbs.
This was pretty good. I don't know if I'll make it again but I said yes because I'm on the fence. I followed the recipe as closely as possible though I did have to make a few changes -- left out celery & ground beef, and had to use sundried tomatoes in oil. Anyway, it was good and nice and light, but we didn't rave about it.
I loved this sauce. Easy to make...I cooked the meat the night before and put everything in my crockpot in the morning before work. I used three different types of canned tomatoes: fire roasted, italian seasoned and plain. When I got home all I had to do was cook pasta.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Artichoke Hearts >
- Artichoke Pasta >
- Artichoke Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Pasta Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >