I won a prize for this recipe in a contest sponsored by our local newspaper. I got it from my mother-in-law, who's originally from Italy.
- 4 large sweet onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 5 slices day-old bread, crumbled
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel onions and cut 1/2 in. off tops and bottoms. Place onions in a large saucepan. Cover with boiling water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- Cool slightly. Carefully remove inside layers of onion, separating into eight individual shells (refrigerate remaining onion for another use). Drain on paper towels.
- In a skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining ingredients. Spoon into the onion shells.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Stuffed Onions in Country April/May 2000, p51
Reviews for Meaty Stuffed Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review