Meaty Spinach Manicotti Recipe
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) manicotti shells
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted; set aside. Drain manicotti; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the chicken, spinach, eggs, mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup white sauce. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- 3. Spread 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce in each of two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with manicotti. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over the top.
- 4. Reheat the remaining white sauce, stirring constantly. Pour over spaghetti sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the filling reads 160°. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 306 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 566 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.