Meaty Spanish Rice
Meet the Cook: My "policy" in the kitchen is to try to fix something totally new at least once a week. This recipe came out beautifully on the first try! Ever since, in between experiments, I've made it often.
I usually fix Meaty Spanish Rice for family meals - but it's also great for doubling if unexpected company comes and the cupboards are all nearly bare!
My husband and I own a small e
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Black pepper to taste
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the ground turkey,
- onion and green pepper; cook until meat is brown and vegetables are
- tender. Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 30
- minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (using margarine) equals 300 calories, 14 g fat (0 saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1-3/4 starch, 1 fat.