Meet the Cook: My "policy" in the kitchen is to try to fix something totally new at least once a week. This recipe came out beautifully on the first try! Ever since, in between experiments, I've made it often. I usually fix Meaty Spanish Rice for family meals - but it's also great for doubling if unexpected company comes and the cupboards are all nearly bare! My husband and I own a small engine repair service. Someday soon, we plan to retire to the farm 70 miles west of here that we also operate. We have three grown children and five grandchildren - and I spend as much time with those little ones as I can! -Margaret Shauers, Great Bend, Kansas
Recommended: 68 Slow Cooker Recipes to Warm Your Winter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Black pepper to taste
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, onion and green pepper; cook until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Spanish Rice in Country Woman January/February 1991, p33
Reviews for Meaty Spanish Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2017
Reviewed Mar. 27, 2016
"I'm not a big fan of ground turkey, but I sometimes find it for super cheap on clearance. I always make this when I have turkey."
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2010
"I use very lean ground beef because my husband doesn't like ground turkey."