Meaty Spanish Rice Recipe
Meet the Cook: My "policy" in the kitchen is to try to fix something totally new at least once a week. This recipe came out beautifully on the first try! Ever since, in between experiments, I've made it often. I usually fix Meaty Spanish Rice for family meals - but it's also great for doubling if unexpected company comes and the cupboards are all nearly bare! My husband and I own a small engine repair service. Someday soon, we plan to retire to the farm 70 miles west of here that we also operate. We have three grown children and five grandchildren - and I spend as much time with those little ones as I can! -Margaret Shauers, Great Bend, Kansas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Black pepper to taste
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, onion and green pepper; cook until meat is brown and vegetables are tender. Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Spanish Rice in Country Woman January/February 1991, p33
Reviews for Meaty Spanish Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2010
I use very lean ground beef because my husband doesn't like ground turkey.