"My family always enjoyed my homemade spaghetti sauce, but it's so time-consuming to make on the stovetop," remarks Arlene Sommers of Redmond, Washington. "My busy grown daughter adapted my recipe to take advantage of her slow cooker. The flavorful sauce still receives compliments."
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, sugar and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Spaghetti Sauce in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p42
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Taco Mac >