- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, sugar and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
"The only thing that could make this spaghetti sauce any better is that it has more tomato sauce so it coats the pasta better. My son has begged me to make more of this."
"I love this recipe, so easy to prepare and everyone I serve it to loves it."
"This is my new spaghetti sauce recipe. Loved it! I made it yesterday using all ground beef and no italian sausage. I tasted it but wasn't able to serve it until today. It was much better after the flavors had a chance to mingle overnight. I'll always make it a day ahead now."
"my family's favorite spaghetti sauce"
"We LOVE this. Very hearty. Freezes well, if you need to divide it because it make so much."