Meaty Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef and sausage until no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the green pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, paste, sugar and seasonings.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until bubbly. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (prepared with lean ground beef and Italian turkey sausage; calculated without spaghetti) equals 231 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 1188 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.