- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille or other spicy chicken sausage links
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients. Place chicken and sausage in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in shrimp. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice. Yield: 12 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Meaty Slow-Cooked Jambalaya
"I made this last night using crushed tomatoes because my son hates tomatoes if he realizes they're there. I also reduced the spicier spices a bit. But the overall smell and texture were just like what I would get at a restaurant. The andouille sausage definitely added authenticity and was easy to avoid giving to the kids. A fairly easy way to take a trip to New Orleans for dinner."
"This is one of my super picky daughter's favorites! We use crushed tomatoes instead of the diced because she hates the texture of tomatoes. The green pepper gets left out due to my husband.We have used crawfish instead of the shrimp and played around with different sausages. It is a winner every time!"
"Very tasty recipe. Can substitute different spices in for your taste preference and it's still great."
"PERFECT..WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING"
"What a treat. Spicy but can not put spoon down. I served with no rice and it was full bodied enough. We were experiencing ice storm so no trips to store to buy. I followed recipe to a t except no green peppers in the house. What an easy recipe. I am handicapped, so slow getting around and it took me about 45 mins for prep. All i can say is yummmmm!!"
"Turned out phenomenal, thank you! We don't like things too spicy, so I substituted a smoked sausage for the andouille, used Penzey Cajun Spice mix and omitted the cayenne pepper. Smelled as great as it tasted!"
"Very good flavor and easy to make."
"Very good. The aroma while it was cooking was in itself mouth watering. The taste was fantstic also."
"Very tasty and easy to make. I used white rice instead of brown. Husband does not like brown rice. Used turkey kielbasa for the sausage."
"Fantastic recipe! The only thing I have done differently to this is add deer sausage links! Awesome!"