- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille or other spicy chicken sausage links
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients. Place chicken and sausage in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in shrimp. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice. Yield: 12 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Meaty Slow-Cooked Jambalaya
Sort By :
"Very tasty recipe. Can substitute different spices in for your taste preference and it's still great."
"PERFECT..WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING"
"What a treat. Spicy but can not put spoon down. I served with no rice and it was full bodied enough. We were experiencing ice storm so no trips to store to buy. I followed recipe to a t except no green peppers in the house. What an easy recipe. I am handicapped, so slow getting around and it took me about 45 mins for prep. All i can say is yummmmm!!"
"Turned out phenomenal, thank you! We don't like things too spicy, so I substituted a smoked sausage for the andouille, used Penzey Cajun Spice mix and omitted the cayenne pepper. Smelled as great as it tasted!"
"Very good flavor and easy to make."