It’s easy to turn sloppy joes into hearty hot pocket snacks. I make the filling ahead and use refrigerated biscuits. I time them so they’re done baking just before kickoff. —Shelly Flye, Albion, Maine
Featured In: 30 Junk Food Copycat Recipes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and carrot over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. Spoon scant 1/3 cup beef mixture over half of each circle to within 1/2 in. of edge. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edge with a fork to seal.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut three slits in top of each. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Sloppy Joe Pockets in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p163
Reviews for Meaty Sloppy Joe Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review