Meaty Pasta Casseroles Recipe
I love this recipe because it makes a lot—two hearty casseroles. Every time I fix it, I add something different, such as extra garlic, to give it a little extra flavor. —Debra Butcher, Decatur, Indiana
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (23-1/2 ounces) Italian sausage and garlic spaghetti sauce
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky mild salsa
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 jar (24 ounces) three-cheese spaghetti sauce
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage, mushrooms, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Drain pasta; add to the meat mixture. Stir in the tomatoes, sausage and garlic spaghetti sauce, salsa and pepperoni.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350° . Divide half of pasta mixture between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Spread 3/4 cup of three-cheese spaghetti sauce over each. Top with remaining pasta mixture and three-cheese spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
Cover and bake 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Freeze option: Cover unbaked casserole and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
1 serving equals 669 calories, 34 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 1,825 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC