Meaty Mexican Sandwiches Recipe
I like to serve these hearty sandwiches on Super Bowl Sunday along with a green salad, rice and beans. Everyone raves about the great combination of flavors and textures.
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 6 hard rolls, split
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the pork, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the ketchup, raisins, vinegar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in almonds.
- 2. Hollow out the top and bottom of each roll, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Fill each roll with about 1/2 cup meat mixture. Top with cheese and lettuce; replace top of roll. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 495 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Meaty Mexican Sandwiches
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC