Meaty Manicotti Recipe
- 14 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook manicotti shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Remove from the heat. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. Drain shells and rinse in cold water. Stir the mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and salt into meat mixture. Spread 2 cups spaghetti sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. Stuff each shell with about 1/4 cup meat mixture; arrange over sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 507 calories, 26 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 1,265 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.