- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Additional mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, macaroni, mushrooms, cheeses and bread crumbs. Spoon into a 3-qt. baking dish. Top with meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with additional mozzarella cheese if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Macaroni Bake in Country Extra March 2002, p51
Reviews for Meaty Macaroni Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2012
Delicious and my kids loved it. Simple too.
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2011
Great recipe for a church potluck.