Meaty Garden Salad Recipe
My sister-in-law originally made this hearty, filling salad. Over the years, I've modified it slightly, but it's still a favorite of the men in the family - Jo Jaquith, Marietta, Georgia
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup instant rice
- 3 medium unpeeled cucumbers, cubed
- 4 plum tomatoes, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salad dressing of your choice
- In a skillet, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Stir in rice; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Combine the rice and beef in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Add cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, onions, green pepper, salt and pepper; mix well. Serve with salad dressing. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Garden Salad in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p82
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Meaty Garden Salad(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review