Meaty Corn Bread Squares Recipe
Working full-time outside of the home doesn't allow me to cook as often as I'd like. So when I get a spare moment, I create plenty of delicious foods for my family. This is an all-time favorite I'm asked to make often.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 pound diced fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- 1. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice; set tomatoes aside. In a large skillet, combine the ham, onion, chili powder, garlic and tomatoes Cook over medium heat until onion is crisp-tender. Combine the cornstarch and reserved juice. Gradually add to meat mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the eggs, corn, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread half the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over batter. Sprinkle with cheese. Spoon remaining batter on top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 522 calories, 26 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 1,692 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC