- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 envelope country gravy mix
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, water and brown gravy mix. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon into a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in the bacon bits, pepper and garlic powder. Spread over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare country gravy mix according to package directions; serve with casserole. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Meaty Corn Bread Casserole
Sort By :
Very good, was enough for two meals for my husband and I. I did not use the white gravy mix, nor the bacon bits but next time I might use 2 brown gravy mix to make it a bit thicker
Both of the gravy mixes have huge amounts of salt in them. Make your own or, alternatively, use only one of them. Frankly, the corn, the corn bread/muffin mix and the bacon bits ALL contain salt too. 1,345 mg. of sodium PER SERVING of this casserole is OUTRAGEOUS!
Quick, easy and delicious. Will definitely make again.
My husband really enjoyed this and I made a few changes to make it healthier. I did not use sausage, but a little more lean beef, I also did not use the gravy on top at the end - it was perfect without this addition. I did add some seasoning to spice it up a bit and paired it with a large salad and carrots. Great!
Very Good! My family rated it as a "keeper". I didn't have an envelope of country gravy so I searched "country gravy recipe" on-line and found a recipe that worked great.