Meaty Corn Bread Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 envelope country gravy mix
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, water and brown gravy mix. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 2. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in the bacon bits, pepper and garlic powder. Spread over meat mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare country gravy mix according to package directions; serve with casserole. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 447 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1345mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Meaty Corn Bread Casserole
"I thought the recipe was just great.But what I did to adjust it was use lean top siriloin ground beef.Then I used50%lesssodiumbrowngravymixandreduced sodium real bacon pieces,so it would not have as much sodium.All of which I bought at Walmart except for the meat and pork sausage which I got at a natural foods store in Roseville,Ca. Called Sprouts.And it came out just as great and good tasting even with the less sodium. And lean meat."
"Very good, was enough for two meals for my husband and I. I did not use the white gravy mix, nor the bacon bits but next time I might use 2 brown gravy mix to make it a bit thicker"
"quick, easy and delicious. Will definitely make again."
"My husband really enjoyed this and I made a few changes to make it healthier. I did not use sausage, but a little more lean beef, I also did not use the gravy on top at the end - it was perfect without this addition. I did add some seasoning to spice it up a bit and paired it with a large salad and carrots. Great!"
"Very Good! My family rated it as a "keeper". I didn't have an envelope of country gravy so I searched "country gravy recipe" on-line and found a recipe that worked great."
"This is an awesome dish. I did not add all the pepper or bacon bits to the cornbread and served the gravy on the side since I knew that we would have leftovers. My husband actually asked for leftovers for dinner the next day."
"We liked this recipe---good comfort food. I forgot to get the frozen corn so used canned "Mexi Corn" in the same amount and liked it very much. This recipe is EASY which is perfect for my style of cooking!"
"Really unique and delicious! I used all hamburger instead of half sausage/half hamburger. Instead of bacon, I added a can of green chiles to the cornbread. Very good!"
"I liked this, but my boyfriend said it needed more spice. I didn't like the bacon pieces in the cornbread, it made it taste smoky. But all in all this is a great comfort food!!"
"this is fabulous! and it sounds like an odd combo, but it's delicious. i use 2 pkg of the white gravy though...yum! it's easy and everyone likes it:0)...great recipe!"
"This is SO GOOD!!! It is one of our family favorites!!! I always double the recipe to add to a 9"x13" pan and it still goes FAST!"
"Excellent and easy to make. Consider adding (to taste) Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning for a little more spice."
"It doesn't look very pretty, but it sure tastes good!"
"I used homemade ground white-meat turkey sausage to cut down on the fat content. It got rave reviews from my family."
"I would love to try this, however, with the gravy mixes I'm not sure I can make it gluten-free. Bummer because it looks sooo good!"
"This not only looked yummy it tasted fantastic. If you are a cornbread and meatlover. this is a recipe you must try."
"Very good and super easy to make i will be making this again"