- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 envelope country gravy mix
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, water and brown gravy mix. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; stir in the bacon bits, pepper and garlic powder. Spread over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into corn bread layer comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare country gravy mix according to package directions; serve with casserole. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Meaty Corn Bread Casserole
"I thought the recipe was just great.But what I did to adjust it was use lean top siriloin ground beef.Then I used50%lesssodiumbrowngravymixandreduced sodium real bacon pieces,so it would not have as much sodium.All of which I bought at Walmart except for the meat and pork sausage which I got at a natural foods store in Roseville,Ca. Called Sprouts.And it came out just as great and good tasting even with the less sodium. And lean meat."
"Very good, was enough for two meals for my husband and I. I did not use the white gravy mix, nor the bacon bits but next time I might use 2 brown gravy mix to make it a bit thicker"
"Quick, easy and delicious. Will definitely make again."
"My husband really enjoyed this and I made a few changes to make it healthier. I did not use sausage, but a little more lean beef, I also did not use the gravy on top at the end - it was perfect without this addition. I did add some seasoning to spice it up a bit and paired it with a large salad and carrots. Great!"
"Very Good! My family rated it as a "keeper". I didn't have an envelope of country gravy so I searched "country gravy recipe" on-line and found a recipe that worked great."
"This is an awesome dish. I did not add all the pepper or bacon bits to the cornbread and served the gravy on the side since I knew that we would have leftovers. My husband actually asked for leftovers for dinner the next day."
"We liked this recipe---good comfort food. I forgot to get the frozen corn so used canned "Mexi Corn" in the same amount and liked it very much. This recipe is EASY which is perfect for my style of cooking!"
"Really unique and delicious! I used all hamburger instead of half sausage/half hamburger. Instead of bacon, I added a can of green chiles to the cornbread. Very good!"