- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- In a 4-cup rice cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Press cooking selector lever to illuminate cook light. Cover and cook until light turns off, about 45 minutes.
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in sausage; add to rice mixture. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Meaty Cabbage and Rice
Sort By :
"I make this often and always use the rice cooker. I used ground chicken in place of the beef and loved that also!"
"I have been making this recipe for years (since the issue came out) and honestly, a rice cooker is the easiest way to make it....worth the investment!!!! NO changes."
"Brown the beef, breaking it up. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and parsley and cook till tender. Add coooked long grain rice making sure not to "overrice" the meat mixture. Cook cabbage with onion and butter. Break some up and put into the ground beef mixture. Spread the cabbage in the bottom of a large pan, adding the meat mixture with the cabbage and rice added. Dot with butter and bake on 350 degrees until completely hot. Delicious stuffed cabbage casserole!!"
"I made this, doubled the receipe, it was a little hot next time will use mild tomatoes and peppers. Cooked it on top of the stove, it was really good."
"Here is another way to cook rice. I use a pressure cooker. Place rice and prescribed amount of water, you may also season at this time. I also sub chicken stock or broth for the water. Allow pressure to build; when it fobs, remove from heat immediately and let set 5 minutes. This works well for small portions - like 7 oz of rice - I'm single and do not cook large portions."