Meaty Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage links, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the chicken and sausage in oil until for about 10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- 2. In the drippings, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, thyme, pepper, chicken and sausage.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 45 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 334 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,056 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.