"Bean" in the mood for some filling fare to serve your family? Nothing fits the bill quite like this recipe. Two kinds of meat make it doubly delicious.—Kathy Both, Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage links, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, cook the chicken and sausage in oil until for about 10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, thyme, pepper, chicken and sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 45 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meaty Bean Casserole in Country Woman January/February 2000, p40
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Meaty Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review