- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or pork tenderloin, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 to 16 ounces Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, cook the chicken and sausage in oil until for about 10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, thyme, pepper, chicken and sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake 45 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Meaty Bean Casserole
Sort By :
"Good hearty meal. My 3 kids all ate and enjoyed it without me constantly reminding them to eat their food. I only used 2 cans of Great Northern beans and 1 can of Red beans, then topped it all with shredded cheese. Very Good!!!!"