This meatless lasagna is chock-full of healthy zucchini and delicious cheeses. You'll be surprised that such a generous portion still weighs in at under 300 calories! Ruth Vaught - Tempe, Arizona
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2-1/2 teaspoons each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place zucchini in a large saucepan; add 1/2 in. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine egg and ricotta cheese.
- Drain noodles. Place 1/2 cup tomato sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with three noodles. Layer with half of the ricotta mixture and zucchini. Top with half of the remaining tomato sauce and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Lasagna in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p65
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Meatless Zucchini Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review