Meatless Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) Italian tomato sauce, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use).
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine meat crumbles, onion, pepper, cooked rice and half of the soup. Cut out the thick vein from bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place 1/3 cup rice mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends. Fold in sides, beginning from cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- 4. Spread half of the tomato sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place rolls seam side down in dish.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine tomatoes with the remaining soup and tomato sauce. Pour over rolls. Cover and bake 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and cabbage is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
2 each: 232 calories, 3g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 1000mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 15g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable