Meatless Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
“These stuffed cabbage bundles make a delicious alternative for the real thing, especially during meatless holidays,” writes Linda Evancoe-Coble of Leola, Pennsylvania. “They’re also a good source of fiber.”
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) Italian tomato sauce, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine the meat crumbles, onion, pepper, cooked rice and half of the soup. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place 1/3 cup rice mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Place rolls seam side down in dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes with the remaining soup and tomato sauce. Pour over rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and cabbage is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Meatless Stuffed Cabbage in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p37
Reviews for Meatless Stuffed Cabbage(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cabbage Casserole >
- Casseroles >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Rice Casserole Recipes >