Meatless Spaghetti Recipe
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 small zucchini, chopped (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 4 beef bouillon cubes or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large saucepan or a Dutch oven, saute the garlic, celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the zucchini, green pepper and olives; saute for 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Dissolve bouillon in water; add to vegetables. Add the next 10 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 14 servings.
One 1-cup serving of sauce (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon and without brown sugar or salt) equals 102 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.