Meatless Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced green peppers
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup burgundy wine or water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups hot cooked spaghetti
- 1. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onions, green peppers, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine or water, sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 320 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 536mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 7g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
"THIS SAUCE WAS AMAZING.. MY KIDS COULDNT GET ENUFF OF IT. TY VERY MUCH."
"I have been making this sauce for YEARS from an old Taste of Home edition. My daughter, a vegan, adores it and a friend doesn't even use spaghetti- she eats it out of a bowl by itself! It freezes well and is great on manicotti, etc., as it doesn't smother the delicate flavors of all of the cheeses. It's low fat and a great way to use up your garden veggies. The only thing I did diferent is add more garlic and I accidentally used Port instead of Burgundy and it actually gave it a sweeter flavor."
"I made this 2 days after seeing it on line. I think it is very tasty and the addition of the vinegar gives it a subtle zing. Definitely a repeat dish."
"This is an absolutely amazing dish. It's a family favorite in our home, and whenever we serve it, there are no leftovers! I dish it up with some homemade crusty bread and a nice romaine salad but honestly, you can fill up on this alone."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.