Meatless Spaghetti Pie Recipe
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Add the egg substitute and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, green pepper and remaining Parmesan cheese. Spread over spaghetti crust.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender. Spoon over cheese mixture. Spread with spaghetti sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 326 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Meatless Spaghetti Pie
"I would increase the cooking time to thirty minutes. Twenty minutes was too runny!"
"Delicious!! You can sub in your favorite fresh veges for the mushrooms and green peppers depending on the season. This is one is a family favorite when we go to the beach. I make it ahead and it travels well."
"My kids usually don't like any kind of casserole or foods mixed together, but they love this "pie"."
"I sextupled this recipe (dividing it between two 14"-16" deep dish pizza pans) for a birthday party where the ages of the 17 guests ranged from age 3 to over 60 and it was a huge hit! Even the pickiest eater (a five year old) kept telling me how good it was and asked for seconds. Since not everyone is a fan of veggies, I substituted a total of 2.5 lbs extra lean ground turkey (seasoned according to the directions for Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage) for the green peppers and mushrooms. As a side note, sextupling the recipe is perfect for about 25 guests or if you want leftovers to enjoy later, which is exactly what we did!"